Are you constantly in need of a drink of water to moisten your dry mouth? Always, looking for gum or mints throughout the day to keep your mouth moist? You may be suffering from a medical condition called dry mouth or xerostomia. You might think it’s just an uncomfortable situation that you can learn to deal with. What you don’t know is that it can lead to tooth decay. According to Dr. Abe Katz of Virginia Dentistry by Design, there are things that can be done to beat your dry mouth and prevent tooth decay.
Why do I have dry mouth?
- Naturally occurring: predisposed to having inadequate or sticky saliva
- Medication induced: there are over 3,000 medications listing dry mouth as a side effect
- Cancer treatment: radiation and chemotherapy
- Genetic disorders: Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Mouth breathing
A lack of saliva reduces your body’s ability to fight cavities. Saliva neutralizes the acids from food and acidic bacteria.
7 Easy Ways to beat dry mouth
- Use xylitol gum or alkaline saliva substitutes. It stimulates saliva productions and reduces acid production.
- Use a 0.05% sodium fluoride rinse with xylitol and neutralizing pH.
- Limit sugary foods and acidic beverages (soda, coffee, tea and alcohol).
- Drink plenty of water.
- Look for alternative medications that do not leave the mouth dry.
- Brush and Floss regularly.
- Use only alcohol free mouth rinses.
Contact Virginia Dentistry by Design in Herndon, VA and inquire about the products he offers that can help combat dry mouth, gum disease and tooth decay.